Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For Next Time


      “Honey, I swear to god I wrote this out in ’96,” my mother sighed over the phone, digging an old slip of paper out of her recipe folder.
      "You found it?" I asked. 
My mom and I sitting on a bench. 

      “Yeah, it’s here. I can’t believe it! It’s a sign, you know? Now you have to make it.”
I had frantically called my mother Thursday night to ask for advice.  I had been assigned a paper a few weeks before where I had to make my perfect meal.  At first I had thought this would be a great opportunity.  I could eat meat!  I would have a reason to buy expensive ingredients that I knew I couldn’t afford.  I could kick my housemates out of my kitchen for an entire evening! 
      But as I flipped through my homemade composition-notebook bound recipe book for inspiration, I quickly realized this would test my indecisiveness, my lack of pro-activeness and my inability to settle for anything less than perfect. 
      I wanted to make meat. I wanted to find a way to feel good about eating a food I love, a food I believe should be consumed by humans in a healthy, moderate, sustainable way. I wanted an excuse to visit the farms in Kalamazoo, MI where I had been purchasing my local eggs from for the past seven months.  I knew where my meat came from in my hometown of Minneapolis, but I was ashamedly ignorant of my current surroundings. And really, I was just craving a delicious breakfast sausage, covered in peppers.  Or eggs benedict, made with REAL thick cut, locally raised, grass fed bacon. Even meatloaf sounded appetizing. 
      But what to pick? There were too many options. I haven’t eaten any meat—besides the occasional sushi binge—since I was home this summer when my mother could afford to purchase meat I could justify eating.  
      I called her because I couldn’t decide and because we hadn’t spoken in over two days, way longer than maternally acceptable. 
      “Don’t cook meat. You won’t be happy in the end.”
      “What? Why mom? I would visit the farms, I’d be okay with it.”
      “You’ll feel bad. You’ll cook it. It’ll taste good. But you’ll feel bad. Make something that you know will make you feel happy when you eat it.”
      “You don’t know me,” I responded, knowing that she was undeniably right. 
      “Han. Make mushroom risotto.  You’ve never made it all on your own.  And you’ll remember how to make it for the rest of your life. And there is absolutely no way you can feel bad after eating risotto. Especially if you throw in a wad of butter at the very end like the Italians do.”
      It was perfectly obvious. Mushroom Risotto was my perfect meal as a child, before I became a vegetarian. And now that meat was off the table, I found a lot of comfort eating it with my family, one of the only meatless-meals my parents and younger sister loved eating as much as any meat-based dish. 
      My mom first made mushroom risotto when she was in her early 30s, when I was just five.  She wrote the recipe down from her Italian sister-in-law Zinni who assured her it was the way real Italians made it.  Serendipitously, my mother found the piece of paper she had written the recipe down on fifteen years ago.  
      “I’ll scan it to you. You won’t understand my directions, it’s in the short-hand I use for all my recipes. But I’ll explain it to you.”
      I thanked my mom and went to bed happy that I had made a decision, and hungry for the delicious dish I had craved constantly as a child. I resolved that I would make the dinner for my housemates the following night, and fell asleep dreaming of little button mushrooms dancing on my eyelids.
      I woke up Friday morning with my throat throbbing and my nose dripping with mucous. 
      I’m not going to lie, I shamelessly cried about it. I think I was just worn out.  I had been organizing a big poetry event on my college campus and I had been getting very little sleep to keep up with my homework and my social life. But I also just really wanted to go for a relaxing walk downtown to get my groceries before cooking a meal by myself, two luxuries I’ve rarely allowed myself to experience this year. 
      Two of my wonderful wonderful housemates witnessed my breakdown and took pity on me.  Max and Emily offered to go to the local People’s Food Co-op for the majority of the ingredients and the nearby one-stop giant grocery store Meijer for the parsley and fresh mushrooms for me when they went to get their weekly groceries.  They didn’t let me resist their kindness.  Max wrote down my list of ingredients while Emily made me some tea. 
As they drove off, I drifted off to sleep for the next six hours, hoping I would wake up somewhat revived. 
***
      Sunday was a beautiful day in Kalamazoo, and the perfect day to make my perfect meal. I had recuperated from Friday’s sudden sickness, the poetry event I had organized had gone well and I was on a high from all the beautiful sunlight coming through my house’s windows.  I had invited all my housemates to my meal, but had asked them politely to stay out of the kitchen while I cooked, something that otherwise would never have happened, as the kitchen is a common gathering space for the seven of us. 
      I started to prepare my meal.  But before the actually cooking started, I had to set the scene just how I wanted it.  Our perpetually dirty kitchen had to be clean if this was going to be my perfect meal.  So I set out scrubbing down the stove, tackling the giant pile of dishes in and next to the sink, sweeping the floors and putting away the dry dishes.  
      I’ve started becoming more and more like my mother since I’ve started living on my own, and I’ve stopped resisting it.  I enjoy cleaning now, I find it relaxing. My mother cleans before our cleaning lady, Dasha, arrives.  I also couldn’t start making my perfect meal without opening the small kitchen window a crack, grabbing a handful of berry scented candles and some music to play in the background.  When my mother cooks, it’s an event.  There’s James Taylor and Carole King playing, a fire in the fireplace, flowers on the counter, and my father steps in for a dance every now and then. 
      I wanted that. I wanted to be at home with them while I cooked. 
I lit the candles, turned on some music, poured myself a small glass of boxed wine and started to cook. 
Filtering the liquids. 
      Risotto is a lot harder than I remember as a kid. The ingredients are simple: arborio rice, unsalted butter, olive oil, a large onion, wine, chicken broth—which I substituted with mushroom broth—white wine, cream, Parmigiano-Reggiano, a little bit of parsley, dried porcinis and fresh mushrooms.  But the process is rough.  
      “Risotto is always the same, except for the liquids and how you finish it,” I remembered my mother telling me as I sauteed the chopped onion in the butter and olive oil in my housemate’s beautiful red pot. I added the rice and coated it in the buttery mixture.  I poured in the white wine and stirred the golden-mixture for several minutes. Then I started to get anxious. 
The arborio rice starts to absorb the liquids.
      The liquids need to be hot when you add them to the risotto, that’s the key. That’s where the patience comes in.  I had started heating the mushroom broth, but I didn’t know if it was quite hot enough.  The risotto was supposed to stay just short of boiling, my mother had told me.  I hesitantly added a cup of the broth to the rice.  I was shocked at how quickly the rice absorbed the liquid.  I constantly stirred the rice with one hand while the other scooped the almost-boiling liquid into the pot. 
      Then I realized I had forgotten to reconstitute the mushrooms! They needed to boil in water for twenty minutes in order to be ready to add to the risotto. As I reached for a new pot, three of my housemates walked in to the house. 
      The sun was setting and my candles were not sufficient lighting.  I had to turn on the fluorescent lights I hated so much. I have nightmares with bad lighting.  I felt my perfect atmosphere slipping away from me as Max started stirring my rice, Emily danced to the music, and Ryan stared at his chili heating up in the microwave. And I needed to add liquid to the rice!
      “Guys, I’m sorry to be a bitch, but I really need you all to leave the kitchen.”
   
The re-constituted porcini mushrooms. 
   I was even more like my mother than I thought. I had kicked people out. I felt horrible. My I couldn’t add the liquid fast enough, I had been rude to my housemates, and I was getting sweaty from all the stress. 
      But suddenly, the risotto started tasting right.  It was slightly creamy, yet a bit al-dente, just like I remembered it.  I was getting close. 
      I pulled the porcini mushrooms off of the burner, strained them, and gave them a rough chop. I added some of the leftover liquid to the risotto like my mother instructed and was feeling pretty good about my dinner. 
      I had forgotten to saute the fresh mushrooms. 
Delicious rustic country bread from WaterStreet. 

      I was so disappointed.  As I watched the fresh mushrooms saute into beautiful brown clumps, I felt my risotto going from that perfect al-dente to a mushy, sticky consistency. 
      Pissed, sweaty and hungry, I added the mushrooms, cream, cheese, salt, pepper and parsley to the pot, threw in a clump of butter for good measure, and called my housemates down for dinner, embarrassed by what I was serving them. I wanted them to taste my childhood, and I was certain this wasn’t going to be it. 
      I set the table with some tulips I had bought from my favorite local coffee shop, Waterstreet Coffee Joint and lit some candles on the table.  I pulled the bread out of the oven that was also baked and purchased from Waterstreet and we sat down to eat.
As Max, Emily and Melissa ladled heaps of risotto onto their plates, I started passing the bread.  They all thanked me for inviting them and I shrugged, hoping it was edible. 
      It may not have looked like my mothers, but it sure tasted like it. 
Setting the mood with candles and tulips. 
     It was just as creamy, just as mushroom-filled as I remembered it. I had been freaked out for no reason, and my friends loved it.  It was then I realized how silly I had been.  In search of my perfect meal, I was searching for perfection, something I now know I cannot achieve. But what I found was friends who care enough about me to buy my groceries for me when I’m sick, who get out of the kitchen when I ask them to, who put up with my silly love of good-lighting, and who take the time out of their day to eat my mush of a meal. 
      We laughed throughout dinner, finishing all the bread and all of our piles of risotto.  As the meal ended, we turned up the volume on my speakers and danced in our living room until our stomachs hurt from too much cream and just enough laughter. 
      The next day was Valentines day, and just as lovely as Sunday with the sun and the birds out from hiding.  I got a text from a friend saying I had a package in the mail center. It was a Valentine from my mother. Inside was a package and a plastic bag full of dried morel mushrooms and a card that read, “For next time.”

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love your narrative so far! The ending is great, I think it's really important that you tied your mom back in at the end. She is a constant thread and I really enjoyed your characterization of your relationship with her. I was curious why this assignment originally put meat back on the table for you at all though? I love that the beginning is dialogue and the conflict comes in right away. As soon as you resolved one conflict another came in to replace it, you have a great flow going! I liked how you pulled out and gave us background and context. My favorite part was that when it's really intense in the kitchen and you kick everyone out the words read really quickly and then when the tension is gone it slowed right back down...I'm not sure if this happened because of your style or my reading of it but I imagine that it's a little of both. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I love this piece. Starting with your phone conversation and then bringing your mom back in at the end of the narrative worked beautifully. Your ending is fantastic!

    You definitely create tension in describing your stress in the kitchen--I felt tense just reading that section. That being said, parts of your writing in this area seemed a bit choppy and abrupt. As Elaine alluded, this may have been a stylistic choice on your part, but I found it a bit much in places.

    You clearly thought about who your audience was when writing this piece. Rather than simply writing to our class, you take the reader outside into the entire blogosphere, and I really think it works well. One part that would remain a bit confusing to the outsider, however, is your section about meat and wanting to include it into your meal. What constitutes meat you could justify eating? How were you planning to go about obtaining it in Kalamazoo? The idea of just visiting the farms seems a bit lofty; could you explain your thought process here a bit more?

    Another place where I was slightly confused was in your paragraphs detailing the cooking of risotto, from adding the liquids to the forgotten mushrooms. As someone (Italian though I may be) who hasn't experienced risotto before it reaches my plate, I found this area hard to follow.

    A final suggestion lies in the characters. Max and Emily are mentioned a few times, but Melissa and Ryan seem to appear out of no where with no explanation. Also, if you invited all six of your housemates to dinner, why did only three join you for the meal? I know some people wanted more character development in other pieces we've workshopped, but I think what you included about Max and Em is just right.

    With a little tweaking, I think that this already great narrative can be incredible, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,
    What a beautiful ending. I'm a stickler for finishing a piece well, and yours was lovely. Great job. Aside from the ending, your entire piece is wonderfully written. I loved how you incorporated little details that made the experience come alive and "real" to people who weren't there. Your description of getting pissed, sweaty, and hungry as nothing seemed to be going right was absolutely hilarious. I think your overall arching theme is nicely executed in this piece--regarding the imperfection of perfection and friends who care about you. As great as I think all of your material is, I think the really juicy stuff is when you're actually in the kitchen cooking and later when you're eating. Perhaps you could tighten up the first half of your narrative and really highlight the elements crucial to your overall story. For example, as great as it is that you considered cooking meat, perhaps condensing that section into a few concise thoughts would be more advantageous since you don't actually end up cooking it. Just a suggestion..
    Overall, I loved this piece. You're such a talented writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your voice in this Hannah, and how honest and open you are with your reader. You don't hold back when you describe all your little quirks such as your need to have good lighting and a clean kitchen or your less than glamorous break down simply because you were too sick to buy your own supplies. These say a lot about you as a character, and this adds a lot to the piece as a whole and about what a perfect meal is in your eyes. Really nice job!
    I also love the idea of you becoming more and more like your mom which shows up a couple of times throughout this.
    I enjoyed reading this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Alaina's comment: your ending was beautiful. I like that you've taken into account everything that we said in class the other day about making this for a larger audience than just our class (like explaining Meijer). You talk about your housemates a lot, and I wonder if you should say something about your living learning house--what exactly is the theme of your house and does that have anything to do with sustainability/food? Or can you even relate this? I know about the LLH's, but others don't.

    You also do a good job at setting the scene while you're cooking (friends dancing, etc.), which was missing from some of the last pieces. It really did add a lot just in terms of character development and in understanding why you chose to eat with these people. But I don't think I fully get the sense of why these people in particular (which may fit well with explaining the house situation, if you decide to do that). Would you have eaten with your family if you didn't live so far away? That might be something worth explaining.

    But going back to what I was getting at about developing the scene while not giving us a chronology: I like that you throw in that bit about your mother when you start cleaning. It's a perfect way to insert her into the piece while not straying from your subject.

    Another thing--I wasn't sure if you put the part about you being a vegetarian so far down on purpose, or not. As a reader, I was wondering from the very beginning why you were so set on eating meat and what your history with meat is. I do think this needs to come earlier, although I understand that element of "suspense", or whatever you want to call it.

    After reading the piece, I was left wondering about your history as a cook. I get the impression from class that you may be somebody who is skilled in cooking (maybe that's totally off base) but in this piece you're so dependent on mom to cook with over the phone, and then she comes up again in the ending. Just a thought...

    One last thing: "I wanted them to taste my childhood, and I was certain this wasn’t going to be it. I love this! Anyway, this is a lovely piece and I love the narration, as other have said. You have a really well balanced description here of food, friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah,

    I love the dialogue between you and your mom—it’s a great gateway into the piece for readers. It also reveals your own personality and your relationship with your mother very effectively. One suggestion--maybe you could add more characterization of your friends. In the piece, they all seem like really nice people—which they are ;) but maybe give them more dimension?

    Your piece has a warm, homey feeling to it, but it also has a nice amount of tension in it (such as your break down). I love love love love the descriptions of your mom cooking ☺ And the nice surprise you got in the mail on Valentines day!

    I like that you talk about how important sustainable meat is to you—I’m just curious if it is because of the way you were raised? Or have you been influenced by things you’ve read about it? Also, I think it would be cool if you could include some descriptions of the place where you buy your eggs, or any exchanges you’ve had with local farmers.

    Awesome work so far! I always love reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Max guy sounds like an asshole. I think you did a wonderful job carrying us through the whole process of your meal. I never felt bored or super lost which is great considering how complicated risotto is. I think you did a great job blending your mother into your narrative whether it was using her actual words or comparing yourself to her. You also do a wonderful job of taking us through exactly what you're doing and describing is concisely and vividly at the same time.

    It's a wonderful piece but I'm struggling to pull some overall meaning or theme out of it. Maybe it isn't always necessary to have some morel (ha), and I enjoyed it so much as it is now, but maybe work some sort of deeper statement into it. The oft repeated "what is this piece about?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything that we talked about with people's pieces on Monday you covered. Everything is grounded. Everything is detailed. Everything is accountable. This being said: everything is a lot of things, and (as everybody has said before me) there are some parts where the tension and the aim of this narrative (though, being narrative some inherent "everything" is bound to happen) come out more boldly than others. This all being said: YOU come out in this piece in a way much different than I think we've seen-- something about the way this piece unfolds delivers little snippets of you. It feels very concrete and together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah -- this is such a great piece!! I love how you started out with your phone conversation, that interaction really drew me in right away. We can really get a sense of the setting in both the kitchen here at K and at your parents' house; it's great the way that you tried to recreate your cooking/kitchen experience from home.
    I toootally get the bad lighting thing haha...I absolutely cannot stand the fluorescent lights! Throughout the whole process of cooking I always got a sense of who the narrator is, from all the emotions and set-backs you include.
    I thought more characterization of the friends eating the meal would also be a good addition. Your ending is wonderful though...such a great genuine way to end this story! Amazing draft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beginning is really strong, it dives the reader head-first into the action of the story. I would suggest a small polish with the transition back to the phone conversation with your mom just for a better punch.

    I think you do a good job of exploring different themes through narrative rather than pontificating about it, which is always tempting in an essay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how well you tie this whole story up at the end, in a mix of both reflection and good story telling. Overall your piece has a very good feel it, and it flows pretty smoothly from part to part. The only thing i might change, or add in a little, is to perhaps characterize your friends a little more, or at least the two that helped you out by going out and getting your ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I love that your mom knew that you wouldn't really enjoy eating meat, but I sort of wish you would elaborate on why you wouldn't enjoy it even if it were local. You do a really fantastic job of describing your ups and downs, as if your life is a sine graph (or a cosine graph, which one starts at 1, again?). I sort of wonder if you made up the part about the package from your mom, it just ends your story so perfectly!
    My only suggestion for now is to go into even more detail: What about fluorescent lighting is so awful? Does it remind you of a hospital? I know you included a picture of your mother's scan, but could you describe her handwriting anyway?
    Just little things I wanted more of.
    Also, Emily needs to get the heck out of our perfect meals. Too much, too much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hannah,

    I loved reading this. I almost always stop and add suggestions and comments to my “review” while reading, but I couldn’t stop until the very end. I absolutely heard your voice throughout the entire piece.

    Also lovely was your portrayal of your and your mother’s relationship. I liked that you used your Mom this time around, after using your Dad for the basis of your memoir. Even though you said that you were becoming more like her, it was obvious from your initial conversation that you are.

    Your friends sound wonderful, and I think you give just enough detail about them to make us feel comfortable as readers. I don’t feel that any more would be necessary.

    I wish I had suggestions for you other than, “go back and re-read and fix the little grammatical/clarity things,” but I don’t! Really awesome work Hannah!

    ReplyDelete