Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mark Bittman in the New York Times

I love Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, so when I saw his name on the NY Times website I was instantly intrigued. His opinions article, entitled "A Food Manifesto for the Future" discusses some potential ideas that would bail American out of our unhealthy, unsustainable habits. I'm hoping Pollan will offer some more developed thoughts on how we can fix the food industry we've created as we finish up Omnivore's Dilemma.


2 comments:

  1. I am a Bittman lover, too, and I'm so sad his Minimalist column in the NYTimes has ended, though I know he's got other things in the works. I'll be bringing in a little article from Bon Appetit that he did in last month's issue. We're on the same page, Hannah!

    p.s.--thanks for the fun, interactive CYOA Tuesday. I can't believe you fed me a Pop Tart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "animals produced as if they were widgets."

    I also really like these suggestions, particularly the ones about education--because that's such an obtainable goal... The city of Kalamazoo might look pretty good, with a great farmer's market and programs like club grub, but we're not doing as much as we can within those, and we're supposedly cutting edge-activists, if you talk to a lot of students about our campus. Other places, like, say, South Lyon, are deciding to cut classes like home ec, where we might benefit huge amounts just by changing its syllabus a smidgen.

    The Other thing I wanted to say was this: Do you think Pollan Will offer us suggestions? I think Marin already basically said that he won't, but I also don't think it's his responsibility. I think he does a ton simply in educating the people that read his book... and it would be a huge detriment for him to tell us what to do with it. He wants us to think, first of all, and so we have to come to conclusions on our own. AND: I think it would become a less credible work if he started advocating. You know?

    ReplyDelete