Monday, January 31, 2011

Pretty Worked Up: "Unhealthy People Obsessed by the Idea of Eating Healthy"

I started Omnivore's Dilemma the summer before my senior year when I first became a vegetarian. I wasn't impressed. I wanted to hear about meat and factory farming, animal abuse, chicken nuggets, PETA, locally raised hogs. I felt empowered, and I didn't want to hear about corn. I think I got through the introduction, unfazed, and set it on my mom's beside table so she could read it for book club.

And honestly, I'm kind of glad I didn't get through Omnivore two years ago. I would have been FREAKED OUT. I was also much more trusting and idealistic then. I think if I had read about how much corn we’re ignorantly consuming on a daily basis, I would have taken drastic measures to avoid feeling forced into dietary illiteracy.

In my Sex and Sexuality class, we've been talking about the power of one's identity. The concept that what an individual chooses to label themselves can be used strategically is a relatively new one to me. An identity puts you into a category, it gets you into a group but it also distances you from other groups. While one’s sexuality can align people together, I think an individuals position on food can be just as strategic.

As a ‘vegetarian,’ I’m aligning myself with 7.3 million Americans, only 3.2 percent of the country. But by doing so, I’m also alienating myself from many of my friends, family and country. I know that sounds slightly melodramatic, but from my standpoint, it’s true. By going to my family’s Easter party and refusing to eat my grandmother’s ham, it’s really not just about me. It’s about my aunts asking if I want some of their potatoes because my plate looks so vegetable-y, it’s about my grandmother asking me several times if I would’ve eaten salmon if she had made that instead, it’s about being questioned if I still like the smell of ham while in my head I’m thinking “omygoodness-I-haven’t-smelled-ham-in-so-long-Hannah-you-never-even-liked-ham-it-won’t-taste-good-UGH-but-it-just-smells-so-good!” and then politely declining and say “Sorry, no. The honey on the ham smells good but not the ham.”

I say I’m a vegetarian, but my vegetarianism is more complex than avoiding meat. It also gives me a strategy to fight for the inherently moral food issues I believe in. After reading this first section of Omnivore, its scary to think about how Americans’ identity as eater/consumers has alienated us from the rest of the world.

I want to be French! I never want to eat a Twinkie again! I’ll stick to vegetarianism until factory farming is abolished or I find a way to afford sustainable meat! But at this point, it just seems so far out of our reach. It seems like the rest of this book will be Pollan letting us feel guilty, embarrassed about how we eat, and how it determines our entire identity. I’m a little scared to go on, but I think, in the case of our stomachs, ignorance is definitely not bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah--you bring up a really good point. When I first became a vegetarian, I did so because my body just started rejecting meat and I lost all craving for it. However, little did I realize that I was doing much more than making a personal decision that would only affect me. I didn't even think about how my decision would inconvenience others, and I definitely wasn't prepared for the question all vegetarians are asked constantly: "So why did you become a vegetarian?"

    Pretty much all of my friends back at home berate me for my choice, and would love nothing better than to see me take a bite of hamburger and enjoy it (I know, some friends!). And if I even bring up "organic food" around them they roll their eyes and think I'm a snob. So I know just what you mean when you say that by choosing to be a vegetarian you are "alienating [yourself] from many of [your] friends, family and country."

    Before reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" I have to admit to feeling a little morally superior to my carnivorous peers, but now I see how wrong I was. I still consume a ridiculous amount of corn even without eating corn-fed animals, and my ecological footprint is therefore much bigger than I thought before. Pollan even made me feel a little bad about being a vegetarian in some parts of the book--and when he went hunting and experienced a really intense connection with the animal he killed and butchered, part of me felt like I was missing out as a "safe" vegetarian.

    I am definitely looking forward to living and eating in France next year (hopefully), and am being faced with the realization that I'll probably have to eat meat so as not to offend my host family. However, I think I'll be okay with this because, as we've read, the French have a much healthier and more pleasurable attitude toward food.

    ReplyDelete